Jobs from Indeed

Friday, April 6, 2012

A Publisher's Personal Note:

Moments ago, I saw an article on Facebook posted by one of my Soundview folks, and I just had to say something because I was so elated about the person who was featured in the article. 

Unfortunately, I seldom get onto Facebook due to my hectic schedule, but I try to get on as much as possible just to "Like" something real quick without posting comments.  The reason for that is because I love to communicate with my peeps . . . in other words, I can talk my ass off especially with people whom I know, love, like, and respect.

But I digress.

If there is a story about a young man who'd rose up from adversity in sports, this is it.

I remember watching Fred Brown playing that fateful game at my home in Queens, NY, along with a dear neighborhood friend of mine, who was also from Soundview.  We were floored at what happened.  I literally cried because I felt so bad for him.  My friend couldn't believe his eyes as to what happened.  We felt the 'hurt' for him because Fred was a part of our Soundview family.  Plain and simple.

However, at the same time, we were so proud of him because as far as we were concerned, he did his best, and he made it!

And that same sentiment reverberated throughout Soundview, its surrounding areas, and wherever we lived at that time away from our hometown.  We genuinely 'love' the people whom we grew up with as neighbors, friends, and as a family because that was who we were . . . native Soundview folks!

Frankly, there is nothing that I can add to what has already been written about our Soundview brother.  But I will say this: I am so happy to know that this article in The Daily News recognized a talented man from a  neighborhood that I continue to hold dear to my heart, as well to the many, who, too, hold dear hailing from Soundview Houses in Bronx, NY. 



You go, Wickie!  Much love to you and your family!

Miriam.


Georgetown's Fred Brown no longer haunted by 1982 NCAA Championship game where he threw ball away to North Carolina's James Worthy

End Zone: 30 years later, Hoyas guard at peace with Tourney gaffe



Liz Lynch/for New York Daily News

Former Georgetown Hoya Fred Brown dusts off a framed painting of the 1984 National Champiosnhip game where Georgetown defeats the Houston Cougars for the school’s only national title.


BOWIE, Md. - Red reflectors line the long paved pathway at the end of Park Drive and lead to the two-story house set upon a wooded six-acre plot. Inside, Fred Brown, the 50-year-old former Georgetown guard, emerges through a white door marked “PRIVATE.” His hands are full, heavy with four framed photographs, two paintings and five plaques, a colorful assortment of commemoration and commendation. He sighs as he rubs a blue-and-gray cloth over his dusty team photo from Georgetown’s 1984 national title victory.

“Been a while,” he says, brushing cobwebs off his loose-fitting black shirt. Brown burnished his college career by leading the Hoyas to that championship, but the glistening smiles never eclipsed the glare of his greatest gaffe. Two years earlier, at the 1982 title game in New Orleans — the same site of this year’s Final Four 30 years ago — Michael Jordan, then a Tar Heel tenderfoot, knocked down a 17-foot jumper to give North Carolina a 63-62 lead with 17 seconds left. Brown, who stands 6-5, dribbled up court, but his peripheral vision failed him after he stopped near the key.

Brown thought he had guard Eric (Sleepy) Floyd open, and faked a pass to him, and a split second later mistook Tar Heels swingman James Worthy, for Hoyas forward Eric Smith.

Brown let slip an errant pass that unraveled into a game-ending turnover. On the court, Hoyas coach John Thompson placed an arm around Brown, a son of the South Bronx’s Soundview Houses and city title winner with Stevenson High.
 
“You’ve won more games than you lost,” Thompson said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Back to Eden' Books

Don't 'Sweat It' This Summer!

Enjoy The Summer in Comfort!

Django Unchained and Sparkle



'Red Hook Summer' by Spike Lee

*Alex Cross* Official Trailer (2012) [HD]

Signs of a 'Stroke' - F.A.S.T.

Drive Trucks for a Living

Learn to drive Big Trucks!